Thursday 8 October 2009

I Ain't Gotta Feeling No More!

As much as I loved the Black Eyed Peas' 'I Gotta Feeling', I am glad that, as of today, there is a new #1 on the American singles chart. The Black Eyed Peas ends their record-breaking 26 consecutive weeks reign at the top of the Billboard Hot 100 chart (with their back-to-back releases, 'Boom Boom Pow' and the aforementioned 'I Gotta Feeling') today as they make way for a new face to the US charts. London-born singer, Jay Sean, assumes the #1 position with his US debut single, 'Down'. What excites me about Jay Sean's success is not only the fact that he's another British recording artist who has conquered the US pop chart, it's the fact that Jay Sean is of Sikh Punjabi descent. When was the last time you saw a face like his on US MTV? I know that it seems like I'm obsessed with race but when you're an ethnic minority in the West, you get excited whenever you see any diversity and representation of ethnic minority in the media...it's something that you can truly understand if you grew up in a society where you never saw a face that looked like yours on television...anyway, it's awesome and I'm happy for Jay Sean that he's the one to break through this glass ceiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment