Saturday 22 August 2009

Ben and Freddie should make a movie together

I just got home from seeing the latest Harry Potter movie (I know, I know...five weeks after it opened...oh, the shame, the shame!) and I gotta say that it was pretty much what I expected. Not a whole lot happened, in terms of action sequences and all that. However, that's to be expected since this movie is based on the sixth and penultimate book in the series and thus, it has the burden of being the one where there's a lot of setting up for the future movies (since the final book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, is being turned into two movies). I found the movie to be as engaging as some previous installments of the franchise. The development of the two central romances in the series was endearing and the theme of tackling great responsibilities as adulthood beckons (for both Harry and Draco) was compelling and resonant. Above all else, I shall remember this installment of the Harry Potter movies for introducing me to the absolutely delicious new 'talent', Freddie Stroma, who portrayed...oh, who the hell cares about his character's name? If you must know, he played Cormac McLaggen.

Oh, meanwhile, one of the trailers that I saw tonight was some new adaptation of Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray, starring Colin Firth and Ben Barnes. The movie looks dreadful (but who knows, right?) but it seems that it, at least, has one trump card in the form of young Mr. Barnes, who's portraying the eponymous character. I just had a thought...let me pitch this just right...how about a new period piece, let's say, Victorian era, Ben can play an aristocratic playboy who falls for the handsome new valet, played by Freddie...it'll be just like Maurice...only hotter...a gay Wings of the Dove, if you will...if anyone out there steals my idea, I will come after you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment